About Mission Animation:
Mission Animation Office was set up in the year 2006, by the Missionary Congregation of the Evangelizing Sisters of Mary.
This Office is a response to the needs of many orphan/vulnerable children, women, people living with HIV/AIDs and caregivers facing a hopeless future in the neighboring areas that we work in.
The challenge was realized through the pastoral work of the Sisters, who conducted a needs assessment in 2005 in the Kware slums area afflicted by many numerous social illnesses and poor living standards. The HIV/AIDS pandemic has aggravated the challenges of Kware slum dwellers. The challenge faced in Kware slums includes - Malnutrition, ill health and lack of Education, Water and Sanitation, Sexual and gender based violence.
Through this Office, the Evangelizing Sisters of Mary are able to evangelize and promote integral human development. By initiating programms and activities for alleviating poverty and for fostering social justice and economic empowerment of the communities we serve, our attention is towards the holistic formation of a person. The overall goal of this programme is to promote the work of evangelization by witnessing God’s Love and Serving the needy of our time.
To glorify God through transforming the lives of vulnerable groups Spiritually, Socially, Psychologically, Emotionally and economically empowered with knowledge and life-coping skills.
To enhance the quality of life by empowering the communities to participate in activities for sustainable development.
To improve the capacity of the communities by providing holistic care/support within family settings.
1. To improve and sustain the quality of life for OVC households by addressing social determinants of health in Kware slum areas of Ongata Rongai.
2. To empower the marginalized with education and skills so as to make them recognize their human rights and dignity in the society.
3. To reach out to all people through Evangelization and promotion of integral human development.
“I came so that they may have a life to the full…” (Jn.10:10).
“Go therefore into the world and proclaim the Good News to all peoples”…Mt.28.19-20. This is our mission!
Social Ministry is a technical and holistic approach to implement our Charism of “Planting the Church where it has not been planted and bring it to fulfillment where it is already planted”. Some Members of this Congregation are trained as Social Ministers. They are dedicated to the holistic development of a human person by advocating for human dignity through the promotion of Social Justice and option for the poor. The Evangelizing Sisters of Mary who are trained in Social Ministry mainly work with Vulnerable Children such as Orphans, poor children in the Slums; HIV/AIDS affected and infected children and adult, People with Disabilities, Single Mothers, widows/widowers and the poor both in Slums and rural set up.
The key support sector of Human Promotion in Social Ministry as a means of implementation of our Charism covers the following sectors:
- Education support for orphans and vulnerable children – Early Childhood Development.
- Healthcare– HIV and AIDS interventions.
- Economic empowerment – support to vulnerable households with Income Generating Activities ( IGAs)
- Psychosocial support – counseling, home visits, referrals.
- Child Protection – facilitate civil registration, temporal adoption as well as working with stakeholders like children department & police on issues pertaining to child welfare.
- Food security/ nutrition – imparting practical/modern methods of food production/ post-harvest management. Also community education on nutrition
A Social Minister with the physically challenged Children at John Paul II Home – Lokichar Turkana family